Frequently Asked Tree Questions:
You have tree questions and we have tree answers!
9 Oak FAQ:
Let's get those tree questions answered!
When is the best time of year to prune a tree?
Most trees can be pruned year round and will remain healthy, but it is ideal to prune them in the late fall or winter, while they are dormant. Here are a few interesting facts that help explain why fall/winter pruning is preferred:
1. Tree leaves make less sugar(food) when they are dormant, so branch removal results in less net food/energy loss for the tree that year.
2. Bugs, diseases, and fungi are less active in colder climates. When you remove a branch, the tree becomes exposed where bark is no longer present. With less bugs/disease present, the risk of infection is lower.
3. Fall/winter pruning gives the tree more time to compartmentalize the wound before bugs and disease come back in the spring. It is a common misconception that trees “heal”. Trees do not heal, they compartmentalize, and they need a few weeks to compartmentalize the wound off from the outside environment correctly.
Do I need to be home at the time of the estimate?
No. 9 Oak understands that our customers are often busy during the day. This is why we offer 2 great estimate solutions.
1. “Phone estimates” can be scheduled with our office just like a normal estimate. The difference is, instead of you meeting us at your property during the time slot, the estimator will give you a call when he arrives at your property. All we need for you to do is have a quick 5-10 minute conversation with us so that we can get a good understanding of the work you would like done. We will then send you a copy of the estimate usually within an hour.
2. “Just go by” estimates can be scheduled if you just need a few specific trees removed. Simply put a small mark on the tree for us and we will swing by and take a look. Paint, tape, a big rock, a shoe, a cone, a piece of string, etc. Just something to show us the tree you need removed. We will then send you a copy of the estimate within an hour or so.
Do you haul away the trees?
Yes. We haul away the tree debris unless you specify otherwise. If you would like us to leave the wood or wood chips for you, no problem! Just ask your estimator.
Do I need to be home at the time of the service?
No. Each crew member is provided with a copy of the estimate which contains a detailed description of the work order. We sync the estimate to our 9 Oak company calendar which every crew member has unlimited access to on their iPhone. The crew also receives a briefing of the job scope from the estimator who gave you the estimate originally.
How long does it take to receive an estimate?
Sometimes same day, but generally 1-3 business days.
How much is an estimate?
All estimates are free.
After approval of the estimate, how long does it take for the work to be completed?
Sometimes as fast as 1-3 business days, but generally 3-10 business days.
What about stump grinding?
Although most people do not want their stumps ground, we do still offer this service to those who prefer it. Just ask your 9 Oak estimator at the time of the estimate and we will handle it for you. Some stumps are ground same day, but please allow a few business days for us to complete the grinding for efficiency purposes. For example, we cannot have the stump grinder sitting at your property all day waiting for the tree to be cut down and moved out of the way so that he can move in and grind the stump. Instead, we wait until the tree is gone, then send in the stump grinder to take care of the stump. This allows us to move the grinder in and out quickly, which means less cost to you! When we grind, we make sure to clean up the area and fill in the newly created stump hole with the shavings, so that you are not left with a hole in your yard!
What about Payment?
We accept cash, check, and all credit cards. You can give payment to a crew member, mail a check, pay through our secure website with a credit card, or call the office to pay.
Is 9 Oak Tree Service licensed and insured?
Yes. You can even print a copy of the information off of our website.